Thursday, October 16, 2014

Sick Noelle

This girl has been sick.  Friday afternoon she awoke from nap with a "croup" cough (sounds like a seal barking), out of the blue.  It got worse, lots of breathing treatments and steamy sessions in the bathroom for the next 48 hours.  She stayed home from church and school on Sunday and Monday.  Constant fever, coughing all night long and then sleeping in until 9:30 in the morning.  Tuesday we went to the doctor because things were just not resolving.  I am confident I would have went to the ER or urgent care Sat/Sat night if she was my first kid, but I feel much more comfortable with colds now, and I know fevers help the body respond, and it's nice to have a neb and albuterol stock at home as well.  The constant sleeping and falling asleep on me was getting a bit much on day 4 so to the Dr we went.  She was encourage to wear a mask in the clinic, lots of stares from the constant coughing, think people were a tad scared of us.   Lots of junk in the lungs, and we got to take home the picture to prove it!  She was prescribed an oral steroid and an antibiotic.  The Dr. told me she has a virus, and the antibiotic was just in case, but they wanted her to take it.  I think it must make some parents feel better, but this mom has 4 yrs of college classes that show antibiotics don't work on viruses.  Oh well, I know they want to prevent a secondary illness down the road so I don't have to bring her back in two days.... she hates the taste of it anyway, so we have gotten less than 1/2 of the daily doses.  I had to wait at the pharmacy almost as long as at the clinic, and we were at the clinic long enough for blood draw, x-ray and Dr. visits.  Noelle then threw up twice, once in the isle, the next we made it too the bathroom, then they hurried our Rx to the front of the line.  And for some reason the oral steroid was the last of one generic, so they filled the rest of the Rx with a different generic, one is clear, one is pink.  Noelle will take one, and the other causes instant gag reflex so I am not sure we will be finishing that script either.  Perhaps it is time to switch pharmacies. 
Wednesday she was 100% better.  Today she slept pretty late, we tried preschool, but I got a call an hour later saying she wasn't feeling well so I went and got her.  Hope we are on the mend.  We have been missing some beautiful Fall days.

No comments: