Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Luray, VA and Cooter's Last Stand

Summer vacation here we come.  Last minute Robert thought we should get a head start and not drive 16 hours in one day, so we packed up Thursday (em's birthday) and pushed the van past Chicago, pricelined a hotel and spent the night.  Got up early and started in on the rest of the long drive. 
It was a long drive, mostly because we had to stop A LOT.  Dallas was having digestive issues.  He had experienced the weekend before, and Emily and Noelle also had this little bug.  The poor guy!

We spotted our first Charger in Pennsylvania, it was filled with three grown men and had Wisconsin license plates.
I drove almost the entire Ohio Turnpike.  This is a big deal.  Robert is not a great passenger and prefers driving, but he had work to do, so climbed in the back and worked on his computer. I don't think he liked it, but I had fun driving at least 3-4 hours. It was easy since we were on a toll road, I popped in my earbuds and started an audio book.  I listened to My Lady Jane, I would recommend it. I also read Wild and Free, A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt, In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson, Fever 1793, Garden Spells, 100 Cupboards, The Summer I Turned Pretty.  Most of these were books Em will read for school this year, I was getting a jump on them so I'll have them read.  I am grateful I can mostly read in the car and not get sick.

I searched high and low for a cabin with a hot tub.  It was the best. 


Picture with Cooter's Truck
In front of the museum
Hundred's of Dodge Chargers at $40,000-$100,000 makes for a very expensive field
The weather wasn't the great. It rained a couple days straight prior to the event.  Most of "Last Stand" took place in a field near the museum. This equates to a very messy event.  City dump trucks were hauling in gravel all morning helping to create paths that were not completely mud.
Sitting in a Charger is priceless

Robert was in his element! He met his good friend Justin Cornette- who is a rock star in this "world". Walking around with a good friend talking about Dukes of Hazzard and '69 Chargers is heaven.

No comments: