Sunday, September 16, 2007

A first for everything


A picture of Emily's arm about 10 minutes post Benedryl.


Today was our first time experiencing "hives" or an intense allergic reaction. Emily was playing in the living room and watching daddy put together our new TV stand when I noticed some swelling on her upper arm. As I was watching it kept growing bigger, more red and becoming more swollen. After further investigation, and as I was getting my phone to call about them, I striped her down to her diaper and noticed even worse looking reactions on her thighs. Her right leg was swollen and red from her knee to the top of her buttock. Her left leg was swollen on the upper thigh and buttock. I was on the phone with First Nurse*, me determine that it was probably an insect bite reaction. They recommended Benedryl. We gave her some Benedryl and watched her intently for the next two hours for possible restricted airways (worst possible situation). Within 5 minutes the three sites looked 100% better. She still has a ring at each spot, but that should continue to fade away. We still don't know what could have bitten her, we are guessing a spider.

*First Nurse is awesome. I call all the time...

No comments: