Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Date day adult Spring Break

Aunt April and Uncle mark offered us up 24 hours of kid free time. 
We had no agenda but to watch the Iowa State basketball game later in the day.

We dropped the kids off in Ankeny around 11:00.  I had been wanting to try the Cheese Shop for quite a while, so that is where I suggested we start.  It was very yummy, everything I had hoped.  I could eat this for every meal, maybe throw some veggies on the board now and then.  The soft cheese on the far left on the board was my favorite.  The shop guy said the owner bought it out of the back of the van somewhere in Wisconsin.  It is the first time it has left the state.  I loved all the meats, and wish I could remember what everything was. I will be back.  Perfect spot to chill and talk with Robert.


Next we hit up the mall/Nordstroms Rack. Not exciting.  We were both looking for new jeans and possibly some new Cyclone gear.  Then I made a mad dash into Trader Joes to stock up on plantain chips and coconut cream. Sadly they were out of coconut cream and I am on my last can, so I am hoping Aunt Lynne can procour some for me this week, or I will be back to DSM.


After our boring errands we headed to the Iowa Tap room to catch the Cyclone game.  The Iowa Tap room is in the East Village, and very near all the basketball action that was happening as DSM was hosting the NCAA's as well.  I guess they rushed to open, so they could get in on the action, SMART!  We got there about 4:15 pm, an hour before the game, and there was a 2 hour and 30 minute wait for a table.  The place was full, I bet there were 100 people without a table just milling.  We tried several beers and scored one bar seat at about halftime, which was perfect because we were starving and debating ordering food and somehow standing and eating it.  They had tons of tvs, and the whole place was based on this Sukup grain bin filled with 120 Iowa beers.  The building was restored from -something-, I am not sure what the building previous housed, but it had original floors, exposed beams and a very barn like vibe.  For dinner I ordered the tenderloin and Robert had ham balls, so -very Iowan!


No comments: