Thursday, April 22, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture

Our first veggie share of the season

This year we took the plunge and took out a membership to a CSA, the local CSA is Farm to Folk. We are doing a small half share. We have already enjoyed three weeks of spring lettuce, spinach, and two weeks of radishes. Surprise both of my kids like radishes! The farmer delivers his produce to a local church and we go every Tuesday to pick up our share. If we can't use it you can place it on the share table, and are also free to pick up extras from the share table.


The cost is fairly minimum, I figured it would be about $12.50 a week for the summer. I have no idea what I spend on produce alone per week, as I don't break down my receipts by products. It will end up being less than $12.5/wk, because he started delivering produce in April instead of the estimated May! Overall, Robert and I were guessing money-wise it might be a wash (as in not saving us much), but we figured we would end up eating a lot more veggies this summer. We have so far!


No comments: