Monday, May 2, 2011

will you remember?

The cliche phrase of the news, "your generation will remember where/what you were doing on 9/11 and now when Usama Bin Laden was confirmed dead. 

On 9/11 I had been at work for a couple hours, and first heard on the radio.  I was in the BioSafety Lab Level 3, actually a really great place to be hepa filtered air and complete covered head to toe in water/splash resistant garb.  Certainly a safe place to be.  I remember calling Rob, he had better Internet at his work, didn't listen to the radio, and he also worked for several government projects, in a facility that use to make weapons during WWII.  I remember the day being wasted, work wise.  We did the minimal stuff to keep the cells alive, surfed the net, called people and convinced the higher ups to put the tv in the cafeteria. 

Last night, what a moment.  We had just finished watching Soul Men, not quite a memorable movie to have for this moment.  We could have been watching something award winning like "The King's Speech", but that is not Rob and I.  Rob was doing our accounting, and I was vegging!  Our kids do not have any connection to modern day news at this point, will they know we have been at war their entire lives?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I went to bed early, and Damion told me when he came to bed. I was already sleeping, though, so I'm sure I was a bit loopy. I didn't really realize what happened until I read the news on my ipod at a 2:00 am feeding! I'm pretty sure, because of all of this, I'll have more distinct memories of 9/11 and where I was when Saddam was captured, rather than bin Laden.

Funny that on 9/11 you were in garb that could have protected you from a nuclear disaster. Maybe not funny, but ironic!

Lynne said...

I will have a such a "my generation" answer. I went to bed early and found out via twitter when I woke up.