Monday, September 27, 2010

Bathroom update... this one is for Dana!

This is what our main bath looked like when we bought the place. Rob removed the shower doors a year or so later in a fit of rage, they never stayed on the tracks! There was significant drywall damage to the left of the toilet, probably from the shower, but Rob always teased me that it was from the previous owners missing the target!
This is our current bathroom! New vinyl, same vanity cabinet, I spray painted it a chocolate brown, I spray painted the hardware Nickel, and bought new handles. The toilet is new, but only because the other one cracked when it was removed to lay the flooring. The sink top is new with new faucet.

The big deal was getting a new shower surround and the dry wall fixed. The wall that the sink and toilet are on was completely stripped down to the studs and new board (the special bathroom kind) was put in place. Same shower curtain, I trimmed it out with some decorator fabric, we needed more length as we mounted the curtain rod much higher than before. We also used a curved rod, it makes the bath seem much more spacious!



New lights, the over head light is actually a fan/light combo. It replaced the existing fan, this new combo fixture moves a ton more air, so basically you can remove stink and moist air quickly.


We replaced the inset mirror medicine cabinet and light. I copied an idea out of Better Homes and Gardens small bathroom feature. They placed a big mirror and centered a light fixture over the sink and toilet, to expand the prep area. It gives much more room to get ready in the morning and also creates more light. I was worried I wouldn't like it since I do like this rather symmetrical, but I love the outcome. Much better than the 13 inch mirror that was centered above the sink before. I also bought little brushed nickel hooks to use for hanging towels.

We splurged and had the drywall, flooring and shower surround installed. I painted, and Rob hung fixtures and mirrors. I think a big difference was made by the shower surround since we went from dingy cream to bright white, and the flooring made a huge difference as well. We didn't buy anything to extravagant. The curved shower rod is about $15 more than a straight rod, flooring was $1.99 a sq ft but Lowes makes you buy a minimum of 12 ft, which was way more than we needed so that was a tad more of an expense. Painting the cabinet and hardware saved us some $$$ too. The fan/light combo was also a splurge, but much better than the piece of plastic that was the fan before. We scored on the mirror, finding one the right size seemed difficult, I was looking into having one made, which wasn't as cheap as I hoped, and then low and behold I found this one at World Market, $69.99 and 20% off! I love the overall look and am glad it is finished!
(it is way better looking in person, hard to photograph and add/edit lighting on such a small space, it really is bright white and pretty!)

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Good for you, bathroom, fridge and new baby all in one year! Thanks for always posting the pictures, my camera said dead battery when I tried to take WI pictures!