Sunday, September 5, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

We have had a very relaxing Labor Day weekend.
Thursday night Grandpa D, Em, Robert and I headed to the ISU game. We tailgated with some friends and had a great time, we also won, it is great to be 1-0.
Friday night we decided to head to Newton to try out the Valle-Hi Drive In. I was a little worried about Dallas, as he doesn't watch TV, but I knew he would enjoy the popcorn and running around the van. The double feature was Despicable Me and Toy Story 3. We popped some popcorn at home, Rob tried making a cinnamon-sugar version too, stopped by Walmart for some Twizlers, and drove to the show. It was fairly reasonable, they charge for adults, but the kids were free. Dallas fell asleep around 9:00 pm, and Emily stayed up through both movies, and the ride home! She was a tired kid on Saturday, after spending Thursday night with us at the ISU game, and then being out again on Friday until 11:30 pm! It was really quaint, and I would definitely like to make it a tradition to try once a summer, especially when they have a kiddo double feature. I don't think we could ever count on Emily falling asleep, in time for the second movie that is usually not G or PG rated.
Saturday, Rob took the kids to run some lawn related errands. I cleaned up the house and enjoyed my hour "alone". We they returned we headed down to Main Street. Taste of Ames was going on, featuring a little car show on Main Street, plus lots of BBQ stands competing for prizes. I took Dallas to get his first pair of tennis shoes. He was wearing Pediped, soft-learn to walk shoes this spring, and we switched to barefoot or sandals all summer, so this was his first pair, I like to get the kids fitted, even if I don't end up buying really spendy shoes. I am glad we went, the Owner of Lazy M, helped us out and I was way off on what I had guessed his size was. Dallas also has "thick" feet, as in wide and tall! We walked out with a nice, on sale pair of Stride Rites. Did you know that Saucony brand owns Stride Rites? I love my Saucony running shoes!
Saturday afternoon, Rob did some lawn chores, the kids and I made a Chocolate pie to go with our dinner. My dad and Barb stopped through for dinner on their way back from MN. I am very thankful as they dropped off a bed I had them pick up for us from IKEA. Whenever we get around to setting it up and deciding it is time for another bed transition, the kids will have low loft bunk beds!

Sunday we went to church. It was a combined one service Sunday, that means they only have childcare for age 3 and under, so this was the first time Emily sat through the whole service with us. She loves Sunday School and seeing her friends, so she was really sad when we were explaining that to her this morning, but she did quite well and hardly made a peep during the service. After church we went to Madrid for the Labor Day celebration Car show. We ate, looked at lots of neat cars, had some great ice cream and looked at more cars.

Tomorrow, Labor Day we will head out to my Grandpa Johnson's visitation in Kalona. I think we are going to drive back Monday night, and do it all again on Tuesday for the funeral. Rob is certain I will start labor at the worst possible moment, so he thinks sleeping in our own bed Monday night will be great.


No comments: