Friday, February 25, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jelly










Like any good mother, I serve PB and J for lunch. It is cheap, sort of healthy, they almost always eat it, and it is a fast lunch. Today's menu included a PB &J, carrot sticks and apple slices. Emily and Dallas are currently in a growth spurt, months ago when their pants dragged on the ground, now are all ankle length or shorter. Emily has doubled her normal eating portions lately, she had two bowls of chili last night. The moral of this tale is that making them split one sandwich is no longer enough. I had one sandwich prepared, sliced it in two, and we sat down to eat.

Noelle then pooped, everywhere, but her diaper. It was bath worthy, and since I was holding her while it happened we needed to take care of the problem rather than delay it.


At this point Emily was begging for another sandwich. I tell her to wait, I would just be a minute, she could finish the rest of her food, and I would make her another. Two minutes later she is up in the bathroom with me whining about being hungry.

I told her to gather up the ingredients and she could make herself another sandwich. She gazed at me for a minute, smiled and then set to work. I figured I would be down to help her by the time she was unscrewing the peanut butter jar.
I walked into the dining room as Dallas was eating jam out of the jar with my fork, two big globs on the chair. Jam lid on the carpet. One mangled piece of bread on the table, that Emily said Dallas was eating. And sweet Emily dutifully spreading peanut butter on a heel piece of bread. It was too cute, I had to grab the camera. She did a good job making the sandwich, cutting it half to share was the hardest part for her.

I think making a PB&J is a good skill for a four year old to know, now to show her how to pour from a gallon of milk without to big of a mess, and I might not need to come out of my room before noon!








2 comments:

Sarah said...

Is that Dallas' hair in a pony tail during meal times? Hahahaha!

call me Laura said...

He begged for a ponytail all day! Emily and I were both wearing tails in our hair that morning. He often walks around with accessories like that, until dad comes home!