Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Montreal Part 3



Montreal Day three...
We slept in again, love vacation! I wanted to visit an outdoor market I had read about. Robert figured out how to get to the market using the Metro. That was fun, we walked to the nearest station, bought tickets and rode to almost the end of the stop and then walked to the market. I loved the Market, it is defiantly a good visit for a foodie. We walked past tons of fresh fruit, baked goods, fish, smoked meats, and pastries. Plus lots of jarred sauces and jams. I really could have bought lots of souvenirs but we only brought carry-ons and the flying regulations would not allow it. If I could have brought anything back it would have been these frozen ready to bake croissants. They looked so yummy, defiantly not Pillsbury. After brunch at the Market, we shopped a little and headed back to the hotel. We decided to head back to the Old Montreal area. I wanted to go into The Notre Dame Basilica. The Basilica was amazing, we took the English speaking tour, given by a trained Historian. I think that learning about places by a professional is a great thing to do on vacation. After the tour, we ventured out to find some Poutine. Putine is French Fries with gravy on top, and cheese curds. It was yummy, I wish I could have washed it down with a beer!
After our little snack we ventured down to the Port to grab a boat tour. The tour was amazing, really neat to see everything and hear the history from the water's prospective.

I was really hot after the tour, I get over-heated easily, and especially when pregnant. I was sucking down water, but was ready for a dose of air conditioning. We walked the mile or so back to the hotel and bought a movie "Hot Tub Time Machine" on the tv. It was perfectly relaxing and gave my body time to recoup. Pretty funny movie too.

After the movie, we freshened up and went out to find a fancy-last-night-on -vacation meal. Rob wanted to take me to a steak place he was thinking of. We wandered out and walked down to Old Montreal to the restaurant. It was gorgeous in the restaurant. One of the only meals we ate inside, instead of on a patio. We both ordered a steak, it was so good. I think mine was grilled in butter. I am so glad I didn't get an appetiser, because dessert was worth the wait. I had a really delicious apple tart.
After dinner we walked around and took in the wonderful evening one last time.

It was a perfect vacation. It was raining the next morning when we caught a cab to back to the airport. I can't imagine better weather, it would have been horrible if it would have rained the entire time we were there since we walked everywhere. The flights home went really well, I purchased a book at the airport, as I had finished the one I had brought. I think Rob and I realized how important it is for us to get away together. I wish it wasn't so hard logistically to get kid watchers lined up, but it is definitely worth it. Perhaps I should start planning for next year, it will be our tenth year of marriage...

No comments: